Thursday, June 24, 2010

Michael Jackson and His Music

June 25th marks the one year anniversary of the untimely death of Michael Jackson.  I remember what I was doing the moment I heard the news.  I was sitting in bed watching BET's 106 & Park when it was interrupted with breaking news.  The last thing I expected to hear was that the King of Pop was dead.  I cried like a baby, my then 13 month old daughter was staring at me wandering what the hell was going on.  The world was robbed of a remarkably talented soul, a one-of-a-kind spirit.

My love affair with Michael Jackson dealt mainly with his music.  My favorite album would have to be the "Off the Wall," album.  Whenever I hear, "Don't Stop Til You Get Enough," I think of the summer of 1980. I remember playing, "red light, green light," in the middle of the street, going as far as I can on the merry-go-round, eating fresh cut watermelon and sitting on the porch combing my dolls' hair.  As a five year old, the world is my oyster and Michael Jackson's voice is pure magic.

When "Thriller," hit the scene in 1983, my third grade reading teacher played the tape everyday in class for us.  When Michael Jackson moonwalked on the Motown 25 special, he catapulted to another level.  I couldn't get enough of his music I even wrote a letter to his fan club asking if he could come to my hometown (pop. 25,000) to perform at the local skating rink (how cute).

Michael had an extensive music library, but if I had to pick five of my favorites they would be:

1.  Can't Help It (Off the Wall album)
2.  Don't Stop Til You Get Enough (Off the Wall)
3.  Human Nature (Thriller)
4.  Liberian Girl (Bad)
5.  I Just Can't Stop Loving You (Duet with Siedah Garrett on Bad album)

Rest in peace, Michael.  I can't get enough of your music.  I Wish I had the opportunity to see you perform.  Maybe in the next life.

No comments:

Post a Comment