Monday, June 1, 2009

Easy Like Sunday Morning

I had a very good and pleasant weekend.  My hubby and I along with our year-old daughter loaded up the bags and headed east to Creole Country.  I love going to Creole Country.  People you don't know share their lives and their homes with you.  You are always somebody's "Bebby," or "Boo," or "Chere."  The atmosphere is always festive, and the food.  Don't get started on food.  Anybody who knows me, knows how I am about my health and my food.  I'm a veggies type of girl (particularly green vegetables),  lightly steam and crunchy to taste. But when I'm in Creole Country, my taste for veggies fall by the wayside.
There is a place in Lake Charles called "Famous," and they have the absolute best boudain, it's an even amount of meat, rice and just the right amount of seasoning.  My one year old could eat it and not flinch.  And check this...they have smoked and sauteed cracklins.  What is cracklin'? Cracklin is fried pork skin.  It gets it's name from the sound it makes when the skin hits the grease or better yet, when you pop it into your mouth.  
I admit, I'm a sucker for the sauteed cracklins.  When you go inside the place, you are greeted with the overwhelming smell of creole spices.  But there they are sitting pretty in a nice roasting pan just waiting to be scooped up.  They are loaded with vinegar, seasoning all and hot sauce and if spicy isn't your thing, then I wouldn't recommend it. 
There is a Daquiri shop/sports bar called House of Soul that hubby and I go to.  The first time I went (two years ago), my husband recommended the 190 Octane.  I ordered a medium and just like the name says, I was lit.  This time around I knew better and got a small one. 
That Sunday, I missed church but it sure felt good to walk out on the porch and speak my gratitude and blessings in the air.  I am thankful for so many things but most of all I am thankful for Jesus.  I know because of Him I have grace...even when I'm not suppose to eat swine or drink joy juice, He still loves me.  I took it easy for the rest of the day and enjoyed the atmosphere. It was laid back and peaceful, just the way I like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment