Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Is it okay for someone else to discipline your child?

I strongly believe in that great African proverb: It takes a village.  While watching television there was a segment entitled, "Is it okay for someone else to discipline your child?"  Some parents said yes, if they knew the person.  Some parents didn't mind at all.  One parent said, NO, people should mind their own business.  I'm not that old but I still remember getting discipline by other people if I acted up.  I was a bad-assed child who was all over the place.  Nowadays you're classified ADD, but during my day your behind was just BADD.  I remember having to pick my switch out of the tree, I remember leather (TDC prison made) belts, I even remember getting pinched. Just the thought of getting pinched NOW makes my flesh crawl.  My mother didn't mind other people disciplining me.  I'm a much better person because of it.  Now that I'm a mother, I would want someone to discipline my child WHEN SHE ACTS UP.  Some people may say, "Gee Wendy, she's just a child, let her be a child."  It's not cute when a 3 year-old calls you the B-word, trust me I've seen it. I can't help it if I'm old school.  Trust me they have places for children who are not disciplined. 

No comments:

Post a Comment