Tuesday, April 28, 2009

My Aunt Emma














When my mom had complications after giving birth to me,  Aunt Emma was the first person to bring me home from the hospital.  The pictures, though faded over the years are still in my baby book.  In 1973 she was diagnosed with cancer and over the years she battled it and won every time.  Just when we thought she'd given up she'd bounce right back and go on as if nothing even happened.  She never complained.  She was independent, and feisty.  She never bit her tongue when it came to saying something to help you.  Last year, for example I asked her what she thought about my baby shower she said it was nice but that I needed to wear a bra and a girdle.  She said, "You don't want your boobs to sag and you don't want to carry the extra stuff around your waist."  She had a reputation for telling you just how it was and if you didn't know her you'd think she was being mean-spirited.  No, she was far from it.  

Well last Friday, April 24, she went home to be with the Lord.  I know she is in heaven checking out the angels and making sure their halos are on straight.  We'll miss her but we know she's in a much better place.  I love you Aunt Emma, tell Mama Irene and Cousin Booley I said hello.

No comments:

Post a Comment